Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Fedora 7 vs openSUSE

Well Fedora 7 hasn't been officially released yet though the final test is out. I had some bitter experiences with Fedora Core 3 and after that never looked at Fedora. But with all the talking going around of Fedora merging the core and extras I couldn't resist. So I got the Fedora 7 test 4 dvd iso.

The iso is only 2.7GB. Ihave allready got openSUSE 10.2 and it really rocks. Its dvd iso was 3.7 Gb. Well I could easily see a lot of packages are different. I always have the habit of installing from hard disk without burning the images to disk. I had no problems starting the installation. It took a long time loading the kernel thought I have got a sufficient memory. Its a whole new installation screen from its previous versions. The steps are processed very fast. There was no problem in partitioning hard disks or anything. I chose some extra packages to install like KDE which by default is not installed. Then the problem began. It said checking dependencies and took really a long long time. I went to sleep and when I woke up thank God it was over. i only had to click next to install. I clicked and it started copying files. It had about 1093 packages to install and so went to sleep again. When i woke up it was stuck. No mouse movement nothing. I tried everything but no effect. I tried the installation again from scratch a couple of times but the same effect.

Well for now I will say that though openSUSE installer inst that cool as Fedora but at least it doesn't give problems like these. Also openSuse has a lot more pachttp://www.blogger.com/post-create.g?blogID=7892343390332317913#
Show allkages than Fedora. So for now openSUSE wins.

Next time if I try to install I will try to post some screenshots. If anybody has been facing the same problems please tell me.

No comments: